Medical equipment is a wide range of technical medical devices used for various diagnostic and treatment measures and patient care procedures.
Medical equipment is an essential indicator of the development of human society. After all, high-quality medical equipment determines the quality of our lives. Modern medical equipment is able to maintain the vital activity of the human body, ensure the safety of our health, and help to identify diseases at the earliest stages of its development, which helps to stop the harmful effects of the disease on the patient’s health in a timely manner.
Types of medical equipment
Today there are many types of medical equipment for various purposes and applications.
So, all medical equipment can be classified according to several aspects. There is medical equipment for surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, ophthalmology, dentistry, ambulance, etc. There are also ultrasound machines, X-ray diagnostic equipment, physiotherapy devices and others.
The most complete classification can be considered for the purpose of medical equipment. This includes its following types:
- Life support equipment that provides patient support. This category of medical equipment includes ventilators, cardiopulmonary bypasses, dialysis machines, cardiopulmonary devices;
- Therapeutic equipment, which includes ultrasound therapy devices, infusion pumps, medical lasers;
- Medical monitors are used to ensure continuous monitoring of the patient’s condition, allowing you to track electrocardiograms, electroencephalographic studies, blood pressure and some other indicators;
- Diagnostic equipment includes ultrasound equipment, electrocardiographs, computer tomographs, equipment for the diagnosis of circulatory disorders, lesions of the nervous system, various test systems and much more;
- Surgical equipment is used to carry out surgical operations (operating table, operating lamps, aspirators, surgical instruments). Medical surgical equipment for the diagnosis and treatment of intracavitary diseases (for example, endosurgical laparoscopic video complexes) also belongs to this category;
- Laboratory medical equipment. This type of medical equipment includes biochemical, hematological, urinary analyzers, gas and electrolyte analyzers, various reagents and control materials, as well as laboratory glassware and accessories;
- Transportation equipment includes stretchers, wheelchairs for transporting and washing patients, devices for lifting and transplanting patients, transport chairs, transport incubators for newborns;
- Equipment for calling medical personnel allows you to negotiate between the patient and the staff of the hospital, make a call from the ward, provide constant communication between the posts and the wards and other functions. This is a relatively new but very relevant type of medical equipment with a high potential for development and use.
Disinfection and sterilization equipment
Disinfection and sterilization equipment is of particular importance.
This type of medical equipment acts as a kind of connecting link for its other categories, as it is used for the destruction of microorganisms on medical instruments, dressings, surgical underwear, clothes, medical furniture, in solutions of medicines for injections, on dishes and in laboratories through the use of high temperatures or special chemicals.
The following technical devices are related to disinfection and sterilization equipment:
- Sterilizers – devices used to sterilize medical instruments. The most common devices are steam and air sterilizers;
- Accessories and means of loading, such as baskets, containers, carts designed to facilitate the work of loading and unloading sterilized objects;
- Disinfection boilers – devices for the disinfection of surgical instruments, syringes, dishes, catheters, etc. by boiling in water;
- Disinfection electric chambers – medical equipment used for steam-air or steam-formalin disinfection and disinfection of clothes and bedding;
- Sterilization boxes that are used to sterilize small medical equipment and other medical supplies, as well as store them in a sterile condition for up to 20 days;
- Drying and sterilization cabinets – cabinets for drying, air disinfection of glass and metal tools, dishes, heat-resistant syringes, etc.;
- Disinfection chambers for storing sterile medical instruments;
- Equipment for disinfecting solutions. This medical equipment is intended for obtaining solutions for the purpose of disinfection, pre-sterilization cleaning and sterilization of instruments and medical supplies, clothing, food processing, preparation of drinking water and so on;
- 9) Containers for chemical disinfection and sterilization are widely used for disinfection, cold (chemical) sterilization and storage of all kinds of small medical instruments;
- Ultraviolet bactericidal irradiators and recirculators for air disinfection in the presence of people;
- Bactericidal irradiators that generate ultraviolet radiation during operation and have bactericidal properties;
- Photocatalytic disinfectants and air purifiers, operating at the molecular level. They allow the air to be cleaned of dangerous infections and harmful chemical contaminants;
- Ultrasonic baths for cleaning medical devices are intended for effective pre-sterilization cleaning from biological, mechanical, medicinal and other contaminants; as well as for the disinfection of medical equipment and medical instruments;
- Machines for washing and disinfection of medical instruments and medical equipment.
Quality standard requirements
Most medical equipment is represented by expensive and high-tech equipment requiring careful and professional handling. And this means that such key operations as installation, commissioning, and repair are best trusted by highly qualified specialists who have licenses and certificates for carrying out this kind of work.
But even with the proper operation of medical equipment, a significant role is played by timely maintenance, which not only reduces the likelihood of breakdown of medical equipment but also allows you to optimize the cost of its operation.
Many types of medical equipment are subject to mandatory certification. In addition to the certificate of conformity, certain types of medical equipment also require declarations of conformity and a sanitary certificate.
Today, there are special organizations whose professional activity is the examination, licensing and certification of medical equipment. Many of them have unique testing laboratories that allow testing medical equipment in accordance with high-quality standard requirements.
Modern medical equipment is often difficult to operate and requires skilled personnel from the medical staff and the availability of relevant documents allowing them to operate a particular type of medical equipment. Therefore, it is extremely important to conduct timely, regular training, certification and re-certification of specialists working with medical equipment.
Many organizations supplying medical equipment of domestic and foreign manufacture also offer their services in the field of registration of all necessary certificates and other documents for medical equipment, its installation, commissioning, testing, warranty service and repair, as well as conducting training for personnel with subsequent issuance licenses allowing the use of high-tech medical equipment.